Saturday, September 12, 2020

In these tough times

What a year, huh? Covid 19 has impacted every area of everyone’s life. And, for the most part, not in a good way! Just when we think things can’t get any worse, well, you know, something else happens.

My mother is ninety-one and I hoped with all my heart that she’d be able to avoid going to the hospital during the Coronavirus. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen. Almost eight weeks ago she fell and broke her right hip (she’d broken her left hip twice eight years ago) and was taken to the hospital. By the Grace of God, she came through the surgery and, after a week in the hospital, she was transported to a skilled nursing/rehab facility where she spent five weeks. She hated it there and, although I wasn’t allowed inside the building because of the virus, everything I saw and heard (and have since learned) reinforced her opinion.

Anyway, long, long story short – I was given less than twenty-four hours’ notice that they were sending Mom home. Needless to say, I was very glad she was coming home but I wasn’t prepared for her homecoming. I needed special supplies I didn’t have so it was a mad dash to get them. My niece and my aunt helped me with some of that and I’m grateful to them.

Mom’s confined to a wheelchair twelve hours a day until the surgeon authorized more than 25% weight bearing on her right leg. She has an appointment this coming week for an x-ray and I’m praying she’ll be at 50% or more. Because I don’t have the strength to lift her, my brother was coming over every morning and evening to get her in and out of bed. This past week, thanks to the wonderful people at Council on Aging and Helping Hands, we have an aid for an hour every morning five days a week to do that and more. My brother still comes in the evenings and in the morning on the weekends.

We also have a nurse, a physical therapist and an occupational therapist, each coming twice a week. Coordinating all the schedules has been a daunting task but I’m truly grateful for each and every one of them.

I’m not going to sugar-coat what’s been happening and I know that Mom’s road to recovery has a long way to go. As my mother’s primary caregiver, there have been days when I felt as if I’d reached my limit - physically, mentally and emotionally - but I’ve learned so much through all of this. I think the most important thing I’ve learned is that, no matter what happens to us in life, there is ALWAYS something to be grateful for. I’ve discovered that, when I focus on the good things, more of the things that happen are good.

15 comments:

  1. Patricia, There is really no way to be prepared for this stage in life. I will remind you that you also have to care for yourself. This was drummed into my head over and over as I cared for my mother and my husband. Good luck to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not even sure what to say, except that I've seen you come so far in what's actually been a short time (even though it doesn't feel that way to you). I wish I could be there to help, but since I can't be, I'll help from a distance. Always here for you, Pat. And saying lots of prayers. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marja,
      I honestly don't know what I'd do without friends like you. Thanks for always being there for me.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like it's been a tough time for you and for your family, but you're handling it with grace and a positive attitude. You're right to stay focused on the good things. Being open and receptive always brings good things into your life. And like Marja said, "Don't forget to take care of yourself. too."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Evelyn. Most days, I do focus on the positive but, some days, it's a struggle to do that.

      Delete
  4. My heart goes out to you and the rest of your family, Patricia. I'm so glad you have the aide and the others coming in. She got through the tough part, the rehab facility. I almost know what you're dealing with, since I went through all of this with my husband--but without Covid. I know everyone says take care of yourself, but I never figured out how to do that. I hope you do. Hugs to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your kind words, Kaye. For the past two weeks, I had a very hard time trying to take care of myself; there was just too much going on and too much to do. Little by little, I'm setting some boundaries and, thanks to the help we're getting now, I have to believe things will continue to improve.

      Delete
    2. BTW, thanks for spelling the word "aide" correctly. With all the stress, that's not the first mistake I've made lately. LOL

      Delete
  5. So sorry to hear about your mother. I hope her recovery is speedy from this point on. How awful this had to happened at this time, but it sounds as if she is getting great care now from the aide and from you and your bother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your mother, Pat. I'm glad you're getting support from other family and help from the agencies. I was caregiver for my mother. Fortunately, she was in remarkably good health until nearly her final year at just over 100. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier, Pat. I am sure I was subscribed to your blog, but I didn't get this post in my email.

    My heart goes out to you and your mom, and I'm so grateful that you have a cadre of helpers to help get you through these next weeks. There is a special place in heaven for people like you. Keeping you and your mom and in my prayers for strength, healing, and grace.

    ReplyDelete