Sunday, July 10, 2016

A Writer's Retreat



We writers live inside our own heads a good portion of the time. That’s how we create the stories we write and the characters who live those stories. To a non-writer, we may appear to be “present” but often we’re off in another world.

I’m a morning writer. That’s when my mind is fresh, free from all the thoughts and tasks the day will undoubtedly bring. When I’m in the midst of working on a book, especially when I’m close to finishing one as I am now, all I want to do every morning is focus on that.

Throughout the morning, I take an occasional break. In good weather, I enjoy sitting on my front porch with a cup of coffee, leaning back and letting the creative side of my brain do its thing. I’m basically living inside my head and I’m pretty much oblivious to what’s going on around me. I know cars are driving by and life is going on but I don’t really “see” any of it. I always take a legal pad and pen outside with me because I find that I come up with some of my best ideas at those times.
Unless someone interrupts me and brings me crashing back into the real world.

I’m fortunate to have some really nice neighbors and they all know I’m a writer. I enjoy talking with them from time to time but, sometimes (not every day), one of them stops by when I’m taking one of my morning “breaks.”
When that happens, I smile but what I’m thinking is please go away! I don’t want to be rude or to hurt their feelings so I listen to what they have to say, nod my head and make a brief comment or two. But I end the conversation as quickly as possible, explaining that I have to get back to my writing. It’s frustrating because it takes me awhile to get back into the world of my characters.

Those are the times I daydream of having a writer’s retreat, a place I could go to get away from everyone and everything until I finish my book.

The other day, I was thinking along those lines and two of my favorite movies came to mind. Most of you have probably seen Seems Like Old Times and Misery. Although one is a comedy and the other is far from it, the main character in both movies is a writer. A writer who takes refuge in a secluded mountain cabin/lodge to finish his novel.
Ah! That sounds like Heaven to me. I imagine myself at my computer all day long with only the sounds of the birds chirping outside my window. No responsibilities! No interruptions! No people!

And then I remember what happened to the writers in those movies.

Well, maybe I’ll think twice the next time I feel the urge to escape to a writer’s retreat. Or I’ll start drinking my morning coffee at the kitchen table. 
Until next week, happy reading and writing!


10 comments:

  1. I "write" during my morning walk. then hit the computer. But not every morning. And sometimes in the evenngs..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dac,
      How do you remember everything you've "written" while you walk? I would have to stop every few minutes to jot down a note. :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Morning is my best time, too, Pat. If I have an appointment or have to go grocery shopping, I can write the day off. By afternoon I've got too many other things on my mind. Like you, I keep paper and pen close by. Wonderful post, and thanks for letting us know others feel the same way we (your readers) do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marja, for letting me know I'm not the only writer who feels this way. Sometimes, I'm concerned that, if you look up "anti-social" in the dictionary, you might see my picture. LOL

      Delete
  3. Like Dac, I "write" during my morning walk. That's when my best ideas occur to me. Many writers find inspiration on their walks.

    As for retreats---I'd love to go on one. I have a friend who goes on a lot of them---she says she can't write at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Maggie!
      I'll ask you the same question I asked Dac. How on earth do you remember what you've "written" on your walk. If I have an idea and don't jot it down immediately, it's usually gone with the wind. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm a morning writer also. When I lived in Florida, I had a beautiful place for walking--I called it my "swamp walk" although it was a raised bridge through a tropical, shady area and very beautiful. I did a lot of creative thinking during those early morning walks. In Atlanta my walks are usually interrupted and not as pleasant. My creative thinking has to wait until I'm seated at my computer. And somehow it's just not the same anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      It seems you're in good company when it comes to writing while you walk. I'll say it again - I'd have to carry a notebook and pen in my pocket or, by the time I got home, all would be lost. :)

      Delete
  5. Having been a journalist, I had to learn to write at any time. I still can but, like the rest of you, I prefer the morning. You're right, Pat--we all occasionally need a place where we can regroup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "A place where we can regroup." That's a good way to phrase it, John. Ever since I was a little girl, I seemed to need more alone time than anyone else I knew. I guess that's carried through to adulthood with me - especially when I'm writing.

      Delete