Monday, May 1, 2017

May News



It’s been a busy couple of months but things have finally settled down a bit – at least when it comes to promoting my newest release, Marnie Malone. I don’t have any events or interviews scheduled for this month but of course, like everyone, there are always things that come up in my personal life that take me away from my desk. 

As I write this, I'm struggling to care for my eighty-seven year old mother. Mom just got home from a two-day stay in the hospital and she's having a hard time. I'm doing everything I can to help her. So, for right now, my writing is on hold. But, even when I’m not actually writing, my work-in-progress is constantly on my mind and I jot down ideas I have for the book.

I’m looking forward to getting back into my writing routine. I’m a morning writer. That’s when my mind is the clearest and I’m the most creative. I love when I can get up in the morning, have coffee and breakfast and then sit down at my computer. When I’m able to, I like to write every day. It helps me to stay in the story - to keep the momentum going. But sometimes that’s not possible. Sometimes, other responsibilities have to take precedence and I need to put my writing temporarily on hold. That happens to all of us; that’s reality.

But it can be true in fiction too. In my WIP (work in progress), a standalone romantic suspense novel,  the main character, Kate, is a single mother who longs to be a published novelist. In her words, “I want something on my tombstone besides Mother, daughter and sales clerk.” But, for years, Kate has put writing the novel she’s been plotting on hold as she deals with all of the other responsibilities in her life.

Sometimes, our lives and the people we love have to be our #1 priority. Maybe, like Kate, we’re raising a young child and working full-time or we could be caring for an elderly parent. Perhaps we have some health issues that are holding us back. No matter what the reason, we need to be careful that we don’t let anything stop us from pursuing our dreams.

HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!
and
HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!

18 comments:

  1. Your comments today sound almost like my autobiography if I were ever to write one. I hope your mother gets better. I lived with my mother until she was 94 when she went into assisted living so I can feel what you are dealing with now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat! This is (and has been for awhile) a tough time. Thank God, Mom's home from the hospital but, as you well know, there is still so much to deal with. I appreciate your understanding, believe me.

      Delete
  2. Thoughts and prayers are with you Pat, hang in there! Your mom sounds like a wonderful lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon,
      Mom is a wonderful lady. She has several health issues going on right now but she's tough. Thank you for your prayers!

      Delete
  3. Thinking and praying for both you and your mother, and I hope life is back to normal for you soon. I'm looking forward to your new book, however long it takes to come to fruition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marja! There are only so many hours in the day and so much energy in me. I simply can't write and take care of Mom at this time. But, I WILL write as soon as I'm able.

      Delete
  4. Pat,

    I hope all goes well for you and your mother.

    My mother died too early and I did take care of her. It's was difficult experience. As to writing, I too put my family first and then my job as well for many years. I still have responsibilities but with retirement I have time to write. Mothers with young children balance much. So your idea for the novel is a good one--a sympathetic heroine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jacquie. I'm "supposed to be" retired too. LOL
      Oh, and I really like the main character in my WIP. I think (hope) you will too.

      Delete
  5. Pat, I'll be keeping both you and your mother in my prayers. You'll know when it's time to give the book your attention. For now, make sure you're taking care of yourself, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, your words reminded me of something I learned years ago in an Alanon (for friends and families of alcoholics) meeting.
      A mother and her child are on a plane trip. There's a need to use oxygen. The mother's instinct is to give her child oxygen first but that's wrong. She needs to use it so she's able to take care of her child. By the same token, I'm trying really hard to take care of me too. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  6. Hope you can get back to writing, soon. I always get my best ideas in the morning too and would love to write then, but I can't always, either. When you're caring for your mom, just think of all the times she cared for you when you were sick. It kind of puts things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, Evelyn, I do look at it that way. My mother has always been there for me and now it's my turn. Hopefully, we'll get her back in shape soon and I can write. I miss it!

      Delete
  7. You're the best, Patricia. I really mean that.

    On the writing front, I just finished Marnie Malone, loved it, and a review on Amazon is coming soon. Time keeps getting away from me. You're an excellent writer, and there will be time... Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging words, Madeline. You said exactly what I needed to hear.
      And, I'm so glad you liked Marnie Malone.

      Delete
  8. hi Pat,
    good to hear from you on fb. still trying to get your posts via my email-- tells me I'm already subscribed -- but I don't get posts. oh, well, at least I get them on fb. sorry to hear about your mother's health problems. it's tough to deal with a loved one's ill health. hope she's doing better soon. about your post: I'm experiencing exactly what you wrote about right now. my husband had a bad accident in early april, fractured 2 vertebrae. he's home now, in a back brace till end of july. pt at home, nurse comes weekly to check his vitals, an aide comes once a week for an hour, which is when I run out to get grocery necessities. as for working on my next book-- fuhgedaboutit. for now. thanks for the post, sandy gardner sjgardner6@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy,
      I'm sorry to hear about your husband. Sounds like we're both going through rough patches right now. I'm doing the best I can and I'm sure you are too. I have faith that God will take care of the rest.

      Delete
  9. Pat, I'll be thinking of you as you care for your mother. You make a good point when you talk about how life often intervenes and puts our writing on hold---but we need to be careful that we don't lose sight of our dreams.

    ReplyDelete