Friday, September 1, 2017

September News



I’d like to talk about what I call Realistic Fiction. 

I read mystery/suspense novels almost exclusively because I love a mystery. Always have; probably always will. Of course, there are wonderful books in all genres but mystery/suspense is my genre of choice – to read and to write.

I love to read and one of the reasons I read is to escape the real world with all of its problems. When I read, I want to go to a world where I can get to know and care about the characters, visit new places - real or imaginary - and, of course, try to solve the mystery. If I learn something from the book, that’s a bonus.

Now, having said that, I want the fiction I read to be realistic. The characters and the plot have to be believable in order for a book to draw me in and to keep me reading. But I have my limits. There are certain topics I avoid reading about. Some things hit too close to home and/or are a bit “too” realistic for me.

For example, awhile back I started to read a novel by a well-known author, a really good writer. But, after reading a few pages, I realized that the main character’s father suffered from Alzheimer’s. The author was trying to put a humorous spin on a serious disease. I’m sure lots of people enjoyed his book and maybe I’m overly “sensitive” but I had to stop reading it. While I realized that what happened in the book wasn’t “real,” it was too depressing for me.

If you’ve read my Malone mysteries, you may be thinking “Hmm. In the series, the main character’s husband is an alcoholic and another of the characters is an elderly woman in a wheelchair. How is that not depressing?” In fact, I had one review for “Mixed Messages” where the reviewer expressed exactly that sentiment. And now I have a chance to explain the difference – as I see it. Each of my books ends with what I consider to be essential in life and in fiction – Hope!

Yes, David is an alcoholic and, yes, Olivia is in a wheelchair. But, as the series progresses, you will see David recovering from alcoholism (you might learn something about this often misunderstood disease) and, as you get to know Olivia, you’ll realize quickly that the accident that crippled her happened when she was seventeen and, not only has she adapted to her situation, but she is one of the happiest, most positive people you’ll ever “meet.”

I’d love to hear from you. Are there topics you avoid when you read? If so, would you like to tell us why? And, if not, I’d love to hear about that too.

14 comments:

  1. One of the things I love most about your series , Pat, is that it touches or I should say dives into serious realistic subjects. And for me when a story touches me emotionally whether it be sadness or happiness I love it. Fiction or not, many authors write about real things! And these are the authors I read and love. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon! You put a big smile on my face on this dreary, rainy Friday! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Pat,

    Like you, my favorite books tend to be mysteries because they are usually neatly solved in the span of 70,000 words or so. They may be realistic, but real life is a little TOO realistic sometimes. It's nice to escape to a time and place where crimes are solved and people have hope in the end. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only our problems in life could be resolved so easily. Wouldn't that be lovely?
      Thanks for stopping by, Amy!

      Delete
  3. There are certain things I avoid, and one of them is when the story becomes too graphic and too detailed about a crime. I read mysteries to escape, not to read the gory details of a murder. I know that when a writer is dealing with crime, things aren't always going to be pretty, but I draw the line at certain things. Sometimes less detail is better.

    Your books are just the ticket. Not too much, but you don't gloss over things, either. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marja,
      I appreciate your kind words. The most important thing to me in life and in writing is that we have Hope.

      Delete
  4. Good topic, Pat. And I agree--no matter how realistic we get in a story it's best to end with hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, John. The Beatles sang, "All we need is love," but we need hope too. :)

      Delete
  5. I have to agree with you, Pat. There are some subjects I would rather not read about, especially when they get too serious or like Marja said, too graphic. But your novels always put a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thoughtful post, Patricia. Made me think--always a good thing! Especially thinking about escapism, enjoyment, and what's necessary for realism, but not depressing. I've thoroughly enjoyed all your books--so you must be balancing these aspects just right! Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Madeline! I "can't take" certain subjects when I read and, when I watch TV, I despise all the medical/pharmaceutical commercials. I'm watching TV to relax and escape so, toward that end, I mute those kinds of commercials. But, I don't think I should have to do that.

      Delete
  7. Great post, Patricia! I have written a trilogy that was based completely on wild and crazy events in my life. And I presented them exactly the way they happened. Yet, some people stated that they could never happen in "real life"!!!

    ReplyDelete