Sunday, October 1, 2017

October News: When Fiction Mirrors Real Life


In 1965-1966, my main interests were boys, learning how to drive and school, pretty much in that order. So I paid little attention to the news, never realizing how what was going on then in my city would mirror the novel I would write many years later.

You see, after my first Malone mystery was published, I learned something that actually gave me chills. From October 1965 to December 1966, a man attacked, raped and murdered seven Cincinnati women. He strangled them, using either an article of their own clothing or something that was readily available to him. With one exception, the women were attacked in their homes. The media dubbed him “The Cincinnati Strangler.”

The Cincinnati Police apprehended Posteal Laskey, a cab driver, after the last attack. He was arrested and convicted of the seventh murder. He never confessed to having committed any of the crimes but the attacks stopped when he was taken into custody. He died in prison in 2007.


If you’ve read Mixed Messages, much about The Cincinnati Strangler will sound familiar to you. Although I didn’t know about the real life case when I wrote my novel, there are so many similarities between what I wrote and what actually happened. Hence, the chills!

In the book, The Westwood Strangler attacks women in their homes and he uses whatever is at hand to strangle them – just like The Cincinnati Strangler. The Westwood Strangler is on the loose in a neighborhood on the west side of Cincinnati. All of The Cincinnati Strangler's victims were attacked within a few miles of Westwood. 
Without giving away my plot for those of you who haven’t read Unfinished Business, the sequel to Mixed Messages, I’ll let you in on a secret: the total number of victims for The Cincinnati Strangler and The Westwood Strangler is exactly the same!

Was it merely a coincidence that what I wrote all those years later so strongly paralleled what really happened? Or, even though I didn’t consciously remember the news stories, did my subconscious retain bits and pieces for all those years? I guess we’ll never know. 

Book trailer: http://youtu.be/ib9QTJItPA4


22 comments:

  1. Fascinating, Patricia. I've had a similar experience though different in that I've written a book and then a couple of years later something that I've written happens. (Fortunately not murders.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn,
      To this day, whenever I think about it, I still get the chills.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. That's amazing, Patricia. I have based quite a few of my books on real things that happened in my life but I did it on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing, Pat. So many bits and pieces of my life end up in my books. But this one was a real shocker!

      Delete
  3. Who knows how much information the subconscious retains? No matter how the story came about, it's a fascinating book. Learning more about the real crimes after writing the book, well, it would give me chills, too. Excellent post, Pat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Marja! I guess it's one of those things that will remain a mystery. :)

      Delete
  4. Makes you wonder about the power of the subconscious mind. Loved the book, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure it jarred you to learn about the strangler after writing the book. As others have suggested, information about the real case probably did lay dormant until you needed it. When we're young things happen around us and our conscious mind can be oblivious to them. But however the story came to you, many of us have enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, John. I appreciate your support!

      Delete
  6. I'm sure you knew something about those earlier crimes. I remember how distracting boys can be! Add driving and school and you're super-distracted. Probably a bit of self-protection was in play as well. Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You gave me a bit of a shiver, too! What else is lying there in wait for you to unearth? Makes me wonder, a bit, about how much we really imagine versus tapping into some collective unconscious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon,
      It does make one wonder, doesn't it? LOL
      Glad you dropped in. :)

      Delete
  8. You may think this is strange, Patricia, but I have on occasion believed in "alternate universes"--yourself on the same timeline, but in a different world based upon different choices. Found your post VERY interesting! And like Sharon, shivered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mad,
      I guess there are some things we'll just never know.
      I'm glad you enjoyed the post. :)

      Delete
  9. This post gave me the chills, too. Your subconscious mind must have retained something and it bubbled up just when you needed it. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Amy. It's both chilling and amazing.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. WOW, that is chilling for sure! Better it be in the past rather than the future or you might be a suspect! 😜 Have a great week, Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Pat,

    I like to write faction as well. Fiction that's mixed with reality is more meaningful. And yes, this is chilling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacquie,
      I think what I love most about fiction, as opposed to reality, is that any problems my characters have can be (and are) resolved by the end of the book.

      Delete