Wednesday, November 1, 2017

November topic: How do writers choose the titles for their novels?




When I think of some of my favorite authors, Mary Higgins Clark comes immediately to mind. She often uses the titles of old songs. For example, You Belong to Me, Let Me Call You Sweetheart and All Around the Town. James Patterson’s Women’s Murder Club Series starts with 1st to Die and is up to 16th Seduction. And, Sue Grafton’s Kinsey Millhone mystery series utilizes the alphabet: A is for Alibi through the latest, Y is for Yesterday. 
So, how do I choose my titles?
Since I write mystery/suspense, I want my titles to reflect the genre, at least to some degree, because I don’t want to mislead readers; I want to entice them. And, I like my titles to have a double meaning whenever possible. Here’s how I came up with the title for my first Malone mystery.
In Mixed Messages, a serial killer is attacking women in their Westwood homes, where the main character, Ann, her husband, David, and their two small children live in the downstairs apartment of an old Victorian. David is an alcoholic and his behavior toward Ann is becoming more and more erratic; one minute, he’s the kind, loving man she married and, the next minute, he’s cold and cruel.
Lawrence Berger, the son of Olivia, Ann’s landlady, is infatuated with Ann. However, when instead of the usual love poems from Lawrence, Ann receives several ominous biblical quotes, she is confused and frightened.
Desperate for someone to confide in, Ann tells their priest, Father Andrew, about her husband’s drinking and the problems in her marriage, but instead of consoling her as she expected, he points a finger at her and shouts, “Divorce is not an option!” He refers her to Dr. Susan Thatcher for counseling and, at her first session, Ann tells the psychologist, “I feel like I’m living in a world of mixed messages.” Which she most definitely is. 


In Unfinished Business, the sequel which takes place at Christmastime, the title also has a double meaning. 


Readers/Writers: I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject. Happy Reading!

21 comments:

  1. When possible, I like memorable titles, like "Mixed Messages." I also appreciate it when the title has something to do with the story. I usually pull something from a book as my title, like you did. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marja!
      You've come up with some great titles - in both of your mystery series.

      Delete
  2. Titles can be hard to come up with, sometimes. And then other times, you've got two titles, and you don't know which one to go with. But it's great that you're able to take something from the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Evelyn. You've come up with some great titles too and I've enjoyed all of your books.

      Delete
    2. I hope my reply is not too long. If so, Patricia, just delete. Each of my six books has the word Destiny as part of the title. Destiny's Dowry: because the dress on the cover was part of my actual Dowry from Croatia in 1956. As corny as it may sound, I find Destiny has been a part of my life. Destiny Denied was titled because Katya loved Zoltan, but Destiny made their love impossible. Destiny's Dance, because life is a dance, first we are here and then we are there. Katya comes to America from Europe. Destiny Delivered, because of death and dreams send Stevo from Gary, IN back to New Orleans where he first arrived in the U.S. Destiny's Design, because Destiny brought together several immigrants and a Black employee from Gary, In to New Orleans. Now... Danica's Destiny is about a girl born in Taylor Texas of immigrant parents. She wants desperately to be an American not an immigrants daughter. She runs away from home and finds her Destiny in New Orleans. Each book means more to me than just a story. It is my family's and friend's history, fictionalized.

      Delete
    3. Rosemary,
      What an interesting way to choose titles. Thanks for sharing with us!

      Delete
  3. Interesting, I got a mixed message here! I thought you were going to address Book Civers and you addressed Book Titkes! Hmmmm!

    Have a great day Pat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that should have said Book Covers and Book Titles! Ugh!

      Delete
  4. Very interesting question, Patricia! Made me think (horrors!(smile)) and I didn't come up with an answer where my titles come from. All your titles pull me in and I want to read the story. I think that's exactly what's supposed to happen. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. Made me think! My titles are usually a mash-up of ones I like and ones my editor likes. For my gothic novels, I like to have the name of a home or property in the title. I love your titles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Patricia
    Loved your post on titles! and the fact that yours have double meaning. My first "mother-and-me" mystery was called Mother, Murder and Me. Which it certainly was. Except that the mother is dead.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra,that's a great title!
      I'm so glad you can finally post to my blog. :)

      Delete
  7. Interesting question, Patricia.
    Like many, my titles come from within the story somewhere. The Fifth Wheel comes from the MC being in a wheelchair and struggling to fit in, Whereas Magic O'Clock refers to a magical moment each day when a dementia sufferer shakes off his illness.
    Titles can be so tricky, but sometimes they just fall into your lap and you can't think of any other words that would work as well.
    Mixed messages just seems so fitting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne,
      I agree. "Mixed Messages" definitely fell into my lap. I knew immediately that it was the right, and only, title for my book. Actually, of my five books, the only title I had trouble coming up with was "Desperate Deeds." That one took me awhile to come up with.

      Delete
  8. With a series, it is important to have the titles connect in some way. Pat, I agree with you about the need for titles needing to reflect genre. We don't want to mislead our readers. I mostly write mystery with romantic elements. I want the titles to reflect that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Plus, each author's titles reflect their own personal preferences. For example, I love alliteration and three of my titles reflect that. :)

      Delete
  9. Titles are fun to come up with, I think. When I'm about 10% into writing a new novel, I know the title. My first one, Mistaken Identity, I knew immediately. But then after I finished the book and checked on Amazon, there were already hundreds of books with that title! So I changed it to Twin Desires. It was perfect. I think it's good to go with a 'working title' while writing, but then be willing to change it after the book is finished, if something better comes. Your titles are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny, Pam! I decided to go with "Mistaken Identity" for my fourth Malone mystery - in spite of all the other books out there with that title. It fit the book so well that I couldn't resist. :)

      Delete