Sunday, June 3, 2018

Coming Soon!



As I promised last week, here’s the final cover for Secrets in Storyville. The book is a standalone mystery completely different than and separate from my Malone mystery series.

Writing this book has been an eye-opener for me in many ways. Because this was the first novel I’d ever written in the first person, I made a few mistakes. For example, when one of my beta-readers finished reading it and gave me his feedback, I was shocked to see how many times I, as the author, had intruded on the story. Phrases like “Trust me” and “You wouldn’t believe” needed to be cut immediately – and they were. I was also appalled to see how many exclamation points I’d used. Mary Higgins Clark may be the “Queen of Suspense” but I deserved the title “The Queen of Exclamation Points.” That was something else I needed to – and did – fix.

While I loved the characters in my Malone mystery series, I had so much fun creating new ones and getting to know them. Plus, after writing five books set in “real” places, it was an adventure to set the story in a fictional town, a product of my imagination, where there were no geographic or historical limitations.

Because there are so many “firsts” with this book, especially the fact that I’ll be self-publishing for the first time, I’m as nervous and apprehensive as I was when I sent my first book, Mixed Messages, to my publisher. I didn’t know what to expect then and I feel the same way now. But, I’m also excited and eager to hold the book in my hands. I’ve rewritten, edited and revised my manuscript more times than I can count and, like a mother bird, it’s time to push my baby from the nest.

18 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read it! The entire process is a job meant only for the strong, and by self-publishing, you're taking on all aspects. :) I'll be watching for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marja,
      A job for the strong? Right now, it feels more like a job for the struggling to me. LOL However, slowly but surely I'm getting there.

      Delete
    2. Can't wait to read it! All of the other books were really great! Congratulations Patty Gligor

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the upcoming release. Look forward to reading it. Glad you dumped the exclamation points. But an occasional 'trust me' or similar remark isn't out of line when writing in first person, so long as it's clear it's coming from the character and not the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. I felt the same way when I wrote "trust me," etc. but I decided to cut those phrases anyway and I do believe it improved the book.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! I'm looking forward to reading it. It must be an empowering feeling to be in charge of every aspect of the publication--I'm jumping into self-pub soon! Best wishes for a million sales. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Empowering" might not be a word I'd use at this point, Amy. LOL My hope is that, after it's published, I'll feel that way.

      Delete
  4. I know just how you feel, Pat. But it's exciting to be on your own. Can't wait to read it. The cover and the title are so intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Evelyn! I'll admit that it is exciting and I'm sure, for those who are technologically advanced - I'm not - it isn't all that difficult.

      Delete
  5. It's funny how we do things, Pat. My first three books were self-published--all with a fictional setting but inspired by real life events. The first two were told in first person--male voice!! And thank goodness, I belonged to a writer group with men in it. One of them used a red pen all through my dialogue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What would we do without our writer friends and critique groups, Pat? They help to keep us on the right path.

      Delete
  6. Patricia, best wishes for success with your new "child"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pat,

    I admire your courage in taking this on by yourself. I hope it goes well! (Yes, I like exclamation marks too and have to eliminate them) I love your cover art. It has a mysterious Gothic quality. It should appeal to a variety of readers. Wishing you much success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Courage? Taking it on by myself? Thanks, Jacquie, but this whole process has been difficult and terrifying. If it weren't for Dave's help with creating the cover and Marja's help answering my numerous - and sometimes stupid - questions, I could never do this.

      Delete
  8. I'm looking forward to reading this book. Good for you, Pat, for taking a new road and venturing to do this on your own. Wishing you lots and lots of sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn. I'm getting there - slowly, but surely. :)

      Delete
  9. I love your cover, and the title is intriguing. Self publishing is hard work. I wish you success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Joyce. Hard work and hair pulling. LOL Hopefully, it will all be worth it.

      Delete