Sunday, November 4, 2018

If you won the lottery . . .


Lottery jackpots are soaring - some to over a billion dollars.

There's a show on HGTV, My Lottery Dream Home, hosted by David Bromstad. I like watching it to see the various reactions of lottery winners. Some, even though they've won over a million dollars, are still conservative in the house they choose to buy. Others go all out; the bigger and the more extravagant, the better.

It reminds me of a story I heard years ago. A young man in Ohio won an exorbitant amount of money in the lottery. He bought a huge house, several very expensive cars, etc. and, within a year, the money was all gone. It made me sad because I couldn't help thinking how much good he could've done with the money. There are so many worthwhile charities, so many homeless people . . . . Not to mention family members and close friends who could use a financial boost. But, as I said, he was young.

That wouldn't be me though. First of all, I'm old enough to know better and, secondly, I know the value of a dollar. Not to mention millions. It would give me great pleasure to help out the people I care about and knowing that I had financial freedom . . . well, what a great feeling that would be. I wouldn't make any major changes in my life although I would definitely want to do some traveling because there are so many places in the world I'd love to visit.

What would you do with the money if you won? And, if you're a writer, would you still write? (I ask that question because someone recently asked me. My reply was a definite "yes.") So, how about you?



16 comments:

  1. Why would anyone stop writing just because they had money? Well, maybe someone who only writes in hope of making money. That's not me, folks. I appreciate every penny writing earns me, but it's definitely not the reason for writing. Wouldn't mind winning some of that money, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, John. Money can't buy happiness but it does pay the bills. :)

      Delete
  2. I've actually thought about this question every year for the past decade. And every year, fortunately, I realize I wouldn't make any changes if suddenly I was worth millions. Yes, I'd share my money with my kids and grandkids (a trust for their college) and to my favorite charities. But would I stop writing? NO. Stop teaching my writing classes? NO. Stop getting up at 5:15 every morning to work on my next book? NO. Stop promoting and marketing my books? NO (but I'd hire a promo expert and spend the extra time...writing). :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in, Pam. I like your idea about hiring someone to do the promoting in order to have more time to write. Hmm. If I ever win. . . .

      Delete
  3. No, I wouldn't stop writing. It's what I enjoy and there's no reason to stop doing what I enjoy. As far as the money, I've already thought of the people and organizations I'd like to help. Money can change a lot of people, but sometimes it's not for the best. If the winner is careful and thinks things through, they might bless a lot of lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Marja. That's why I love it when someone who really needs the money and/or someone who will do good with it wins.

      Delete
  4. I'd have a movie made of one of my books--not sure which one (smile)Amazing I keep thinking I might win. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madeline,
      You never know. I hope you do! There's a woman at the beginning of the TV show I mentioned who says, "Anybody can win!" Now, that's what I call an optimist. :)

      Delete
  5. You struck a note in me because I enjoy thinking what I'd do with a lot of such "found" money. I've aged enough and had enough experiences that, like you, I'd want to a lot of good with it. Financially help people and causes. The last thing I'd want is some huge, elaborate house. I would keep writing, but I'd be able to pay for great editors, pay for a publicist, and all the other things I can't afford now. I'd also give the company I work for a 2 month notice of resignation and stay home to write full time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's not uncommon for lottery winners to mis-spend the money, simply because they don't have experience dealing with large amounts of money.

    Like everyone else, I wouldn't stop writing, but I might do it in more locations around the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea, Amy! Combining two of my loves - and yours - writing and seeing the world.

      Delete
  7. There are so many things I could do with millions of lottery dollars that don't involve extreme extravagance. The best thing to do is to have a plan in place so if you do win it, you'll know how to spend it wisely. I've had that plan for years. Now all I have to do is buy the winning ticket, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Evelyn. Whenever I buy a ticket and don't win, I remind myself that the money is going to a good cause - to help Ohio's schools. Which, by the way, has been every ticket I've bought so far. LOL

      Delete
  8. “I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die.”

    ― Isaac Asimov

    ReplyDelete