Friday, April 26, 2019

The View from my window


From my office window, I watched, mesmerized, as a large hawk glided effortlessly in the sky. I’d seen the hawk on several occasions and I was always impressed with him. I didn’t know much about hawks but, on this particular day, I decided to learn more. So I Googled the subject. And what I learned became an important part of the book I was writing: Secrets in Storyville, a small town mystery.

That got me thinking about some of the other characters, plots and settings I had used in my previous novels and I realized that many of my ideas came from places and/or people I’d seen in my neighborhood or in the surrounding area. 

One day, while sitting on my porch, I saw a tall, skinny man with a long gray ponytail walking his cat on a leash. For some reason, that got my attention and the man became John Berkley in Mixed Messages, my first Malone mystery. John also had a role in the second book, Unfinished Business.

Another day, I was driving not far from where I live and I spotted a dark car with tinted windows pulling out of a driveway. An everyday occurrence, right? But this time, it made an impression on me. I wondered why the windows were tinted and the scenario I created in my mind was the basis for a major character: Lawrence Berger, an albino.

The creative process amazes me! A writer never knows when a sight, a sound, a smell or a few words overheard will trigger an idea. And it usually happens when we least expect it.

I’m currently working on the second small town mystery: Murder at Maple Ridge. The setting? It’s based on a house I’d admired for years, about forty-five minutes from where I live. I love old houses and, like the Victorian in my Malone mysteries, this house fascinated me.

The point I’m trying to make is that, if you want to be a writer, you don’t have to travel to exotic places to find inspiration. Just look out your window and if something catches your eye, like the hawk, let your imagination soar.

9 comments:

  1. You made me look out my window, Pat. All I saw was a patio, driveway and fence. LOL If I look out the back windows all I see are weeds that need to be pulled. Somewhere in that there should be an idea for a story. Hmm. Now you have me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marja, use those weeds as a setting for a mystery. Anything can be discovered amongst the weeds!
    Pat, I love this! As I am just getting back into writing, I am noticing many things around me. I am moving to a new town that has history and amazing older buildings. This is where my protagonist will live. I've already came up with a name for her town, next is the research and characters when I move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meg! I wish you the best as you get back into writing. For me, there's nothing in the world that compares to the thrill of holding a book you wrote in your hands.

      Delete
    2. I can't wait for that day! I'm starting to keep a notebook of different things. Places I've been that are interesting, people I see and descriptions. Since my creativity has peeked out I almost feel hyper aware. I was people watching at the airport awaiting flights and thought: Oh, now there is a good character from my book. I wish I would have talked to more people, unfortunately, I wasn't feeling well and kept to myself, while reading a great book! šŸ˜ƒ

      Delete
  3. You're right about not having to travel to exotic places to find inspiration as a writer. I think this might fall into the category of write what you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit the nail on the head, Evelyn. With the exception of two, all of my books take place either in Cincinnati or within an hour away. The two exceptions are set in South Carolina, in locations I've visited many times.

      Delete
  4. So now you've got me thinking. As I sit here, there's a porch swing right outside my window. And around that porch swing are buzzing gigantic, fuzzy carpenter bees. They make a little zap noise when they bang into each other or the window screen. They're really quite disgusting. And they've made Swiss cheese out of our porch swing to the extent that no one can sit on it anymore and it has to be replaced. So I'm thinking a horror story...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, that does sound like a horror story!
      The other day a wasp somehow got in the house and I spotted it on a chair in my bedroom. I picked up a shoe and smashed it. Then, I used toilet tissue to pick it up to carry it to the bathroom. The stinger got me even though the wasp was dead - and it hurt. Made me wish I could "murder" it again!

      Delete