Sunday, February 16, 2020

Keeping It Clean


From the time I learned to read, I constantly had my nose in a book. When I outgrew the Little Golden books I loved so much, Judy Bolton and Nancy Drew mysteries became my favorites. Good, clean stories with intriguing plots, mysterious settings and characters I came to know and to care about. More than anything I wanted to write mysteries like Margaret Sutton and Carolyn Keene when I grew up. But for adults.

My father nourished my love of reading by bringing books by my favorite authors home to me from time to time. Dad didn't read fiction but he knew how much I enjoyed a good mystery. One day when I was ten or eleven years old, he surprised me with a copy of “I, the Jury,” a Mickey Spillane novel. 

I picked up the book and started to read, amazed and secretly thrilled that Dad had given me such an “adult” book. A day or so later, I had left my book on the coffee table, book marker in place. Dad happened to pick it up and read a page. His eyes got wide and he immediately confiscated the book. No more Mickey Spillane for me!

Back then, I was disappointed when my father took away my book but, as an adult, I’ve come to realize that what intrigued me as a child (probably because it was “forbidden”) bores me now. When I read a mystery/suspense novel with descriptive sexual acts, I find myself skimming over those parts to get back to the story.

I’m definitely not a prude and I have no problem with a sex scene and/or “colorful” language if it’s integral to the plot and, of course, it's perfectly acceptable and even expected in certain types of novels. A steamy romance wouldn't be very steamy without, well, some steam. By the same token, in a book about a street gang (think James Caan and Kathy Bates in the movie Misery), I can't imagine one of the members saying, "Gosh, darn it!" when he's angry. That’s unrealistic and I think fiction should be realistic, believable. 

But I seldom read those kinds of books and, in the books I write, I've chosen not to use profanity and to leave what happens behind bedroom doors (or anywhere else, for that matter) to the reader’s imagination. Because, it’s my belief that you can have a good story and still keep it clean.  

6 comments:

  1. I agree completely. When I worked at the library, I often had patrons come in asking for authors names who didn't include graphic sex, violence or language. People get tired of it. And I'm a believer that leaving some things to the readers' imaginations is a good thing. Great post, Pat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marja.
      I have to laugh though because, while many of us prefer "clean" books, there are those who revel in gratuitous sex and violence. Obviously, my books (and yours) are not for them.

      Delete
  2. With you, 100%! I admit, though, as a teenager, the more risque the better!(probably because it was forbidden. It's the tale, character motivations, and setting that count. It is easy, though, to just skip until you're back to the story if it's an otherwise good book. If not a good book, gets closed and on the giveaway stack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in, Madeline.
      It's sad to me that some books make the bestseller list strictly because of their sexual content.

      Delete
  3. I couldn't agree more. That's why I like to read your books. I try not to put too much romance in mine, just enough to fit the story, although one reviewer said, "I know there is a little romance in here but I like it this time because of how subtle it is." It's never gratuitous. That's why my new mystery series is strictly cozy, with very little romance, if any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy reading your books too, Evelyn. Like you, I often put a little romance in my books. But you and I both know that, although they sometimes go hand-in-hand, love and lust are two different things.

      Delete