Friday, April 10, 2020

A Silver Lining

A while back, there was a commercial on TV that showed a family sitting down to dinner, telling viewers that was how things “used to” be. Then the screen flashed to what things are like now, basically saying we needed to accept and to adapt to the frantic, hectic life of today’s world.

I haven’t seen that commercial for a couple of weeks but, every time I saw it, it made me angry. Because I don’t believe that’s how we were meant to live. And now, because of the pandemic, the world has slowed down and we have time to literally and figuratively “smell the roses.”

In order to minimize the spread of the virus, people are staying at home as much as possible, only going out to shop for the necessities. Many people are realizing they don’t need all of the things they thought they did. That there are more important things than money and possessions. Parents are spending more quality time with their children and families are once again sitting down to have dinner together.
Every cloud has a silver lining.

Is there a silver lining to this horrible virus? The potential for positive change? A lesson to be learned from it? I think so.

Granted, when all of this is over – and it will be, some people will go right back to the stressful way they were living before the virus hit. But others will learn from it and CHOOSE to simplify and slow down their lives as much as possible. To go back to the basics. To focus on what’s most important to them. And to appreciate and to be grateful for all they have. Even a few small changes can make a big difference in the quality of our lives.

6 comments:

  1. If you could see me, you'd see me applauding your comments. I agree one hundred percent. Thank you for saying what needs to be said! Excellent post, Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marja!
      No doubt about it, these are tough times but we need stay positive. "If we'll do what we can, God will do what we can't."

      Delete
  2. This is what I've been saying! It's amazing to realize how much we DON'T need (or think we need). The silver lining is definitely the ability to slow down and spend more time with the people in our own homes. And the other silver lining is to realize how important it is to stay in touch with the people who don't live in our own homes. I have always taken it for granted that I can hop in my car and see the rest of my family within 6 hours, but now I don't know when I can visit them again. It'll make me appreciate the time together even more the next time I get up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Amy.
      My prayer is that we all come out of this with a deeper appreciation of what we have.

      Delete
  3. Very nice post, Pat. And well said. I couldn't agree more. Stay safe. Looking forward to reading your next novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Evelyn.
      I'm working on "Out of the Woods," my third Small Town Mystery and I hope to finish it in the next few months.

      Delete