Sunday, June 16, 2019

A Tribute to my mother


This Tuesday my mother will celebrate her 90th birthday! She was born on June 18th, 1929, the fifth of ten children. Of course, that meant she grew up during The Depression. Through the years, she's told me many stories from her childhood, which I cherish, and they're all happy stories. No mention of how difficult it must have been growing up at that time. 

Mom was eight years old during the flood of 1937. She remembers climbing into a boat from the top floor of their house to escape the rising water. Sadly, because of flooding, most of the photos from her childhood were destroyed. Miraculously, this one survived.

Jean Lewis

Mom didn't want a party to celebrate her birthday but I needed to do something special to honor her - because she deserves it. She's the best mother I could've ever asked for. Beautiful inside and out. I decided to post a few photos of her today because - and this is strange coming from a writer - sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

Mom and I have lots of common interests. We love to go to flea markets, estate sales and antique malls and we've taken more day trips together than I can count. The covered bridges in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana, the Amish settlement on the east side of Cincinnati and tons of local events. 

Spanish festival

German festival

Tall Stacks - Aunt Evelyn, Aunt Flo, Mom

Butterfly exhibit at the Conservatory

We've also gone on a few extended vacations together: to Michigan to tour lighthouses, to North Carolina to go gem hunting and further south through South Carolina, Georgia and into Florida. Wonderful memories!


Gem hunting in NC


Savannah Georgia


I appreciate - more than words can express - how supportive Mom has always been of my writing. She's attended most of my book signings and she tells everyone she meets, "My daughter is an author and her books are really good."

Mom at my first book launch


Halloween, Mom's favorite holiday


Mom with Bosley, her beloved Welsh Corgi

Christmas 2018

June 2019
Mom's birthday lunch


I love you, Mom!

Happy birthday!




20 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your mother, Pat. She sounds like a wonderful, supportive person. Wishing her good health and much happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John. I appreciate your kind words and I know she will too. :)

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday to your mom! What a lovely tribute you have posted for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Mom! What a great tribute to your mother. She has so much character in her face. Please give her a hug from Marja. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely give her a hug from you, Marja. Thanks so much for the birthday card. I'm holding onto it until Tuesday.

      Delete
  4. Have a wonderful day! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mom looks and sounds like a beautiful lady. And what a wonderful tribute to her. Please wish her a happy 90th birthday for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Aunt Jean, hope you spend the day doing what you love best. Love, Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Susan, and for taking the time to wish Mom a happy birthday. :)

      Delete
    2. You look so much alike! Great tribute, and love your way.

      Delete
  7. Happy belated birthday!
    You've a wonderful daughter!
    Larissa

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful tribute--from a kind, generous, caring daughter to the mom who obviously passed down such wonderful traits. Blessings to you and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! Mom will be thrilled to see all of her wonderful birthday wishes.

      Delete
  9. Pat,

    What a wonderful tribute to your mother! Wishing her the happiest birthday ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your mom IS beautiful inside and out, Patricia, just as you said. What delightful memories you two have of your time together. I'm a bit envious; my mom is 95, but for the past 6 years she's been in dementia, so her memories have been stripped away. But oh what wonderful mom/daughter times we had also. Enjoy this wonderful, special time together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam! I spend time with my mom every day. Actually, we just got back from her birthday lunch. Her younger sister, Evelyn, went too and it was very nice.
      Mom and I have our "moments" but we both try to enjoy our time together.

      Delete